Sunday 5 July 2009

The 'Not-quite-so-Sick Man of Europe'



One of the things I love about this hobby of ours is how we can, quite literally, change history. How many historical re fights and campaigns that gamers have run contrary to what actually happened? It was with this in mind that I decided to expand the Greek and Turkish Balkan Wars fleets to include those ships that were ordered and either requisitioned or scrapped on the stocks There is no doubt that had either of the navies mentioned taken delivery of these ships then it would have been a very different naval situation in the Eastern Mediterranean. With this in mind I would like to introduce the new Turkish ships as follows:

Resadiye - HMS Erin
Sultan Osman-i Evvel - HMS Agincourt
Drama - the Italian Libia

Also the four Talisman class DD Flotilla leaders. I have been unable to source the Turkish names for this class so have instead opted to call them the Turkish equivalents.

Termagent - HMS Termagent - a certain A.B.Cunningham commanded her late in WW1
Turbulansli - HMS Turbulent
Tilsim - HMS Talisman
Uc Disli Mizrak - HMS Trident

I have also aded the Yavuz Sultan Selim (ex Goeben) and the Midilli (ex Breslau) to the set up and so the naval forces of the Sublime Porte stand ready to heap the Sultans displeasure on his enemies (just as well really as there are quite a few of them!).


4 comments:

El Grego said...

Very nice!

David Crook said...

Many thanks for the kind words - it was a labour of love and no mistake and I am very pleased with the final result. The Greeks will follow in a couple of days and then it is on with the Russians.

All the best, Ogre

El Grego said...

Now that I have more than 10 seconds to look/comment...

Are you using a standardized basing scheme, i.e. sizes, as in the original DBSA?

Have to admit, I really like the look of the Navwar ships. Combined with the great review on SteelonSand of the WTJ ships, you two might have convinced me to go with 1/3000. My bank account would be grateful, and games would still be played!

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing your Russian ships (and the Greeks).

David Crook said...

My bases are not standard as per the original DBSA rules although they all have the same breadth - 3cms. I allow 1cm off the bow and stern and for the DDs 1cm between the two ships. At the moment the largest base I have is 10cms long which coincides with the 4" grid I am using. It also means the DD screens look right on the table. I placed these on multiple bases originally as some of the early TBs are very small in 1/3000 and so a base is essential!

All the best, Ogre