Monday 2 August 2010

Taking the Myth...................


............and turning into a classic film. I picked up the DVD of Jason and the Argonauts (1963) at our usual Sunday boot sale for £1 and it was almost like welcoming back an old friend! I loved this film as a young lad and although the special effects look a little dated when compared to today's CGI efforts they are still very impressive. Talos (voted the second best film monster after King Kong) the bronze giant is very impressive - I always liked the horrible tortured metallic rasping he made when walking - and of course the skeletons sown from the Hydras teeth. I was surprised that the leading man - Todd Armstrong - had his voice dubbed for the film (as did the leading lady) as their American accents were deemed to be out of place with the English accents of the rest of the cast!


Steve Barber Games produces some lovely 28mm figures for the Argonaut adventures but although few figures would be required this would be a diversion I should try to avoid!


I have a number of books on Greek Mythology so may well revisit these as some of my holiday reading.

1 comment:

David Crook said...

Hi Tas,

Cheesy and dated I know but great fun nonetheless!

All the best,

Ogre