Monday 22 November 2010

More on Scratchbuilt Ironclads

Although the weekend did not go entirely to plan in respect of play tests etc, I was able to get the next four Confederate casemate ironclads roughly half finished. I cut the hulls out on Friday and last night was able to get the casemates partially assembled. My technique is to have the long side panels glued in place on the hull (lined up around a central core for support) and then to add the front and rear panels - the whole is then filed down to square of the corners and edges as appropriate. I should have these four models finished over the next couple of days or so.

I am building two smaller vessels, another of the same size as the one I photographed in an earlier post and one larger vessel. The hull lengths are 3", 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" with the casemates being 1 1/2", 1 1/4" and 1 inch long. Once these have been completed the whole lot will be primed and then based prior to painting whilst the first units of the opposition are under construction.

No comments: