Tuesday 5 April 2011

The Netbooking Wargamer

I recently mentioned that I have just acquired a netbook. This came about for a number of reasons the main one being so that I could make better use of my spare time during the working week e.g. I can now write for another 2 to 3 hours a day away from home rather that sitting parked on a PC in the evenings. It has been a little over a week since I acquired the netbook and already I am wondering how on earth I managed without one! I have just discovered the 'publish' function in Office 2007 which allows you to type up a document in Word as a Word file and then publish directly onto a blog as a draft or even the final version. This is really handy for me as it means that while I am travelling with no access to the net I can happily type up a blog entry to be published at the push of a button when I am back in wireless range. Previously I would have to cut and paste from Word and mess about with the formatting etc. I am hoping to use this with Word documents that have tables etc contained within the body of the text e.g. drafts of rules, and if successful I shall be able to publish directly to the blog any such items I have been working on. One to experiment with for sure. This new found typing mobility also means that my much neglected 'blovel - The Sword in the Sand' will finally see some activity as I have a great wad of text waiting to be broken down into instalment sized chunks for posting. Best of all though, the time spent during the working day does not count as time out of the domestic round i.e. at home, so I am hoping to be able to make more effective use of the same in respect of of painting, model making or even gaming - not to mention the necessary interaction with the family!

1 comment:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Excellent - thanks for the heads up on the "publish" function, which I hadn't come across before...