Thursday 29 September 2011

Happy Blue Ray to Me! Happy Blue Ray to Me!.....


A long time ago in a Colosseum far, far away.... 

Yesterday, the 28th of September, was my 51st birthday and so apologies for not posting anything but I was otherwise engaged! The less than subtle clue in the title of the post will probably give you an idea as to what prezzies I received - namely, the brand new 9 disc special edition box set of the 6 Star Wars films and the 2 disc special edition of Gladiator.

I have been an avid Star Wars fan since the first film was released and so seeing these in all their Blue Ray glory will be an indulgent pleasure at some point - I may even have a  Star Wars viewing weekend marathon in due course! Gladiator needs no introduction and whilst the historical liberties are big enough to march a legion through it remains a great piece of entertaining cinema.


Ahh....Venice! - The old queen of the Adriatic herself

I also received a welcome addition to the library in the shape of the new book from Roger Crowley - City of Fortune: How Venice Won and Lost a Naval Empire (ISBN 978-0-571-24594-9). I own both his other titles - Constantinople and Empires of the Seas - and as Venice features prominently in the story of the Ottoman Turks this is a timely and welcome volume. I have been to Venice a couple of times and have to say it is one of my favourite places to visit. Roger Crowley's writing style is very readable, almost racy in fact, and  so I shall enjoy looking at maritime affairs from the perspective of the Turks great rivals for control of the Middle Sea.

My copy (or rather second) of the Nugget arrived as well (thanks Bob - much appreciated) and the customary birthday Indian takeaway was a delicious end to the day (especially as we were undercharged by £10 - despite querying the cheapness of the meal when it was delivered!).

The only downside was the news from France that Holly, my 15 year old daughter, had fallen off one of assault course climbing frames (she is on a week long activity holiday with her school somewhere in Normandy) and had popped her kneecap out. She suffers from a condition known as Lax Patella which means it is easy for her to injure her knee. She is OK and we have spoken to her (which much obvious relief) although she will be spending the rest of the holiday on crutches or being wheeled about in a wheelchair!

She is rather accident prone and I have absolutely no idea where she gets that from.....;-)

10 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

Happy birthday!

And get well soon...

Ray Rousell said...

Belated, Happy Birthday!!!

David Crook said...

Hi CK,

Many thanks old chap! I am well - it is my daughter that is suffering but she will be home on Saturday.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Ray,

Cheers old boy!

All the best,

DC

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

Happy birthday DC!

I hope that your day off today was productive. I also hope that your daughter's injury is not too bad, and that she will be fit and well ASAP.

Sounds to me like you had a good birthday, with lots of useful presents ... and you have had some excellent birthday weather as well!

Life can be good sometimes.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

Many thanks for the good wishes - both for my daughter and myself! The news from France is that she is a little sore and has been feeling the heat today although was able to join in the visit to Mont St Michel. Crutches and pain killers are the order of the day but she is bearing up like a regular trouper!

The weather is really good and so Laurel and I had a really nice lunch out and a walk in a local wood. Tomorrow we are hitting the beach....;-)

The prezzies are most welcome and I am enjoying the time at home.

All the best,

DC

El Grego said...

Happy birthday! And sorry to hear about your daughter.

The Venice book looks intriguing...

David Crook said...

Hi EG,

Cheers old chap!

We have just spoken to Holly (my daughter) and she seems in good spirits but is quite uncomfortable.

She comes home Saturday.

The Venice book should be really good as his style of writing is very easy to read and his previous titles are both top class.

All the best,

DC

Tim Gow said...

Happy birthday! Bad news about daughter, but glad she'll be OK. And good presents!

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

Many thanks old boy! Holly is well all things being equal and has managed to have a great time which is the main thing.

The birthday was good and the prezzies are wonderfully indulgent! All I will need is an empty house and a good bottle of something (with a suitable selection of nibbles!)and I will be well away!

All the best,

DC