Thursday 22 November 2012

Opening Pandora's Box


Oh well, here we go - let the insanity commence!

A recent email exchange with Bob Cordery has generated a very useful and interesting post over on his blog that any would-be wargames rules designer would be well served by bearing in mind the points - see the following for exactly what I mean: 10 Commandments.

I have taken the plunge into the world of rules design and have duly applied myself to point number one as a firm foundation of exactly what I want the end result to reflect. I sat down and came up with the following:

  1. A block is a single unit - either as a sub-unit or in its own right.
  2. Only D6 are used
  3. A standard battlefield is 13 x 9 hexes
  4. Combat is resolved at block level i.e. 1 block, 1 D6
  5. The rules are NOT scale specific - ranges and distances reflect relative differences.
So that is the start - the core foundations I want to build my rules from.

6 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

Sounds like you have laid down a very sound foundation for your rules.

Good luck!

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

That is a good start then. Seriously though, my feeling is that by looking at exactly what I want to do I should be able to see how to do it.

Lots to do though - including going through lots of old rule sets to see what leaps off the page.

All the best,

DC

tradgardmastare said...

A great foundation upon which to build...

Tim Gow said...

Sounds like a plan. Just as long as you don't get writer's block. Sorry - couldn't resist.

David Crook said...

Hi Tim,

A plan indeed - writer's block notwithstanding....;-)

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Tradgardmastare,

It is very much baby steps at the moment but I have a number of ideas to play around with.

All the best,

DC