Thursday 17 January 2013

Of Tanks and Men....Part 2


Zvezda Art of Tactic German Infantry - the typical  early war uniform, beloved of TV and films! ....

The infantry figures I intend using for this part of the Fezian project are Zvezda 20mm WW2 Russians and Germans from their Art of Tactic; Operation Barbarossa game. They are plastic to be sure but I have a supply of them (with some more to come) so it would seem churlish not to make use of them! The Ruslanders will obviously be sourced from the Russian figures whilst the Germans will be used for the Fezians. Historically the Turkish infantry of the WW2 era appeared to look a little like late WW1 German infantry with a type of coal scuttle helmet and wearing jodhpur-like trousers . I am using the Germans as they are although may well use olive green as the base uniform colour with brown leather equipment. The only other thing I may be inclined to change is the machine guns in use. WW2 German machine guns look too modern in my opinion so I may well use the WW1 version from the Hat Industrie German Heavy Weapons set.


....and the corresponding Russian Infantry

Artillery of various kinds will be easy to come by. Aside from the Plastic Soldier Company I can also make use of Armourfast - they have a very nice German gun in their range -  and various other kits kicking around including the famous 25pdr from Airfix as well as some very useful bits and pieces from the aforementioned Zvezda Art of Tactic range. There is certainly no shortage of choice then!

Astute readers will have noticed that everything I have discussed for this set up is plastic - this has not been a conscious decision on my part, it is merely the way things have worked out. Having said that,  have been taking a look at the resin offerings from Frontline so some of these may feature in due course as well.

The ideas for the armies are gradually beginning to take a definite shape and so I can begin to make the appropriate plans for the acquisition of the material needed - and I have been very pleasantly surprised at the potential cost involved. Given my ongoing unemployment this is an important consideration as any hobby-related expenditure is obviously limited.

8 comments:

Sean said...

Still liking this project and looking forward to its further development.

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

The stud on the figure base reminds me of the figures in Tide of Iron!

David Crook said...

Hi Sean,

So am I old chap, so am I! Seriously though, I am thinking that there is a lot of mileage in this in terms of variety - which is a seriously important consideration for me. What I am looking forward to is the naval dimension - and I have some rather novel ideas for this.

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

I have seen Tide of Iron on my travels but have not played it - do you have a copy and is it any good?

The Zvezda figures can be pegged on individual bases or multiples - I have not decided which way to go with this yet although the individual bases may well clinch it.

All the best,

DC

Jim Duncan Wargamer said...

I've only seen Tide of Iron played once. I was the Umpire.

My initial view is not overly happy.

It probably needs streamlined and a few bugs fixed.

I don't see it high on my playing groups list.

David Crook said...

Hi Jim,

I remember seeing it at around the time Memoir 44 made an appearnace but it did look rather complex for my taste. Nice 'bits' though.

All the best,

DC

Tsold9000 said...

why not use the Hat Turks and the heavy weapons set...plus soon they are releasing cavalry too.just an idea.

David Crook said...

Hi Tsold9000,

Funny you should mention that - I am looking very seriously at those for the 'machine gun era' armies aka the Great War or thereabouts.

All the best,

DC