Monday 4 May 2015

Gunboats for every occasion

Following on from my previous post concerning Steamer Wars by David Manley I have been busy seeking some suitable inspiration for models and scenarios. Happily (and usually with a degree of inevitability) Osprey have come to the rescue with a couple of very useful titles indeed.



This is a theatre of which I know very little other than seeing 55 Days in Peking and Yangtze Incident - the Sand Pebbles is one that I have not seen as yet - but I am aware that there is plenty of scope for actions of various sorts with warlords and foreign interventionists.


The above title is possiby even better. Gunboats had a very active war across the globe - from Africa to the Middle East and Eastern Europe - and these small ships have a major advantage in that they are relatively simple looking so modelling them, even at a basic level, should be pretty straightforward. Crucially, they can also be used as direct support for land operations without looking too out of place from a scale perspective.

Much to ponder methinks.....;-)

4 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Time to watch "The Sand Pebbles" again!

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

Believe it or not but I have never seen The Sand Pebbles so I reckon a quick trip to ITunes may be in order!

All the best,

DC

Paul O'G said...

Did you see the related article in the March 15 edition of WI?

David Crook said...

Hi Paul,

No I did not but a good friend of mine has copied the article for me so I will have that pleasure to loo forward to.

I cant remember the last time I purchased a wargames magazine either!

All the best,

DC